OK, so I caved. I couldn’t resist making actual wordcount-related writing goals. I mean, yeah, I still think my initial goals are good. It’s just that they’re not so… trackable. I don’t like to mix time goals and wordcount goals in the same spreadsheet, and having two spreadsheets doesn’t work. However, I will try to stick to my initial rule about writing days, to try to get into some sort of habit, and the basic idea is pretty much the same.
The new goals are divided by content. Since my blogging motivation is unstable at best, I decided to include blogging as an actual writing goal. My blog posts seem to average around 500 words, and I figure once a week is a minimum for each of my three blogs plus one extra post per week. Then I have my novel projects, and my short stories, which are basically stories written for the web, or just for fun.
- Blogging: At least 2000 words (4×500) per week
- Novel writing/editing: At least 6500 words per week (if I stick to my four writing days per week this will be 1625 words per day, i.e. less than NaNoWriMo).
- Short stories and snippets: At least 1500 words per week.
- Total writing, everything put together: 10 000 words per week.
- Total writing on each writing day (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday): 2000 words (1625+375) of fiction.
- If blogging is included in the above, total wordcount goal for each writing day is 2500 words.
- Any extra words or writing time is a bonus, not a must.
- The NaNoWriMo goal is not included.
- So during the rest of 2017, including this week (47 weeks in total), I’ll have the following figures:
- 94,000 words’ worth of blog post (roughly 63 new blog posts per blog per week, if counting 500 words per post)
- 70,500 words’ worth of short stories and snippets (though the figures also include editing, so perhaps half that in reality)
- 305,500 words’ worth of novels, again including editing/new drafts, excluding NaNoWriMo
- 355,500 words’ worth of novels including NaNoWriMo
I’m excited to see how well (or badly) this will work, particularly since I haven’t set aside time for worldbuilding and planning. I’m two days into week one, but yesterday wasn’t a writing day. I still wrote 400 words, and cleaned up at home. Did the dishes and everything! I almost feel like an adult.
I also received an orchid yesterday. If anyone wonders, I don’t have green fingers. I’m very curious how long it will last – but I did take very good care of the little note that states how to care for it. I might actually have to start letting some sunlight in instead of having the curtains drawn every hour of the day though…
Anyway. I am now done editing the first chapter of Rogue Sorcery, and things are going well. Slowly, but well. 3349 words in two days, after months of nothing at all. Here’s to keeping up the momentum!